I have been in administration for 5 years now and here are 10 things I didn’t learn in my masters program.
1. How to sand a driveway at your school
2. How to set up a meeting
3. How to sauter a basketball scoreboard console
4. How to set up an outlook distribution list
5. How to fill out a suspension form
6. How to direct traffic in an overcrowded parking lot
7. How to deal with an irate parent
8. How to listen
9. How to discipline a student and have the kid say thank you
10.That being an administrator is so much more than raising tests scores and that is ok
Powerpoint follow up:
My presentation went great. The kids seem interested and they asked good questions. The principal and the counselor both complimented the presentation. My hope is that the students will have come away with a sense of what they need to do to graduate. We will see.
I am starting to get emails from Santa Cruz County Administrators to add to our new blog. Middleschooladmin.com. I will have a link up pretty soon. Hopefully by next week.
Off to take pictures of graffiti, (that wasn’t in the program either)