This wasn’t in the program!!

I have been in administration for 5 years now and here are 10 things I didn’t learn in my masters program.

1. How to sand a driveway at your school
2. How to set up a meeting
3. How to sauter a basketball scoreboard console
4. How to set up an outlook distribution list
5. How to fill out a suspension form
6. How to direct traffic in an overcrowded parking lot
7. How to deal with an irate parent
8. How to listen
9. How to discipline a student and have the kid say thank you
10.That being an administrator is so much more than raising tests scores and that is ok

Powerpoint follow up:
My presentation went great. The kids seem interested and they asked good questions. The principal and the counselor both complimented the presentation. My hope is that the students will have come away with a sense of what they need to do to graduate. We will see.

I am starting to get emails from Santa Cruz County Administrators to add to our new blog. Middleschooladmin.com. I will have a link up pretty soon. Hopefully by next week.

Off to take pictures of graffiti, (that wasn’t in the program either)
Brian

8 thoughts on “This wasn’t in the program!!

1. Hi,
    just wanted to say i found this blog via Ewans edu.blogs blog. Its a very nice part of the country. I have driven down highway 1 many times. I like your blog its very informative.

Look forward to reading more about your job and your experiences.

Brian

2. Brian,
    Nice to hear from you and thanks for stopping by. I enjoy reading Ewans blog and getting a perspective from a different part of the world. It is great that even though as educators we are miles apart we are connected by this great thing called the internet. I look forward to reading your blog as well. I perused it briefly and it looks very interesting. I will add you to my blogroll.

Brian

3. I’m in the same boat. In fact, I’ve said to myself several times over the last 3 years that I need to start writing these things down. Looks like you beat me to the punch.

I started as an AP at a very urban, inner-city school so quickly mastering #9 on your list helped keep me sane!!

I’m enjoying your blog!!

Scott

4. Scott,
    Thanks for stopping buy. Many times over the last 5 years I have said the same thing and then I found this blogging thing. It is encouraging me to write about my experiences. I am happy to see another administrator blogging. I continue to look for more colleagues involved in this type of collaboration.
    Brian

5. Pingback: Do I Dare Disturb the Universe?

6. Pingback: Santa Cruz Middle School Administrators » Blog Archive » Welcome and leave a comment