Spreading it thin

Well it seems that the hectic schedule has finally caught up with me. I feel like I am spreading it so thin that at some point somethings going to get missed. It’s sad really, because all of the things that I am doing I really enjoy. Blogging, tech help, discipline, talking to kids, meetings (yes I enjoy those) and many of the other things that are part of my day. This list doesn’t even include my family.

I don’t want to miss anything, I want to be involved in all of those things and more. I enjoy running around and getting things done, having it be slightly crazy and not boring. But the question is how to hold it together.
What if the thing I miss is really important, what if it is that kid who just needed two more minutes of my time or the teacher who was having a bad day but I couldn’t talk to them or I miss the signs that a fight is going to happen. Hopefully these things won’t happen and I can get a handle on some of what is happening.

This is the first time in my 5 year career as an administrator that I have had this feeling. I am not sure what to do, although I have some ideas. I know that I need to continue to have downtime for my own sanity and for my families sake. I know that I need to refocus on my discipline and make sure that I am supporting the teachers and helping the kids to improve their behavior. After that I am going to need to make some priority adjustments. I hope that I can pull everything together so that I can continue to do the things that I enjoy, however I understand that some of them may have to be shelved.

My main goal is to build up the layer a little more so it is not spread so thin. I need to make sure that I don’t miss something big and that I continue to do my job well.

4 thoughts on “Spreading it thin

1. Brian,
    I can relate. I don’t know if there is a sure fire way to avoid missing that one thing. Sometimes, being human, means we can’t catch it all – but my experience is that it all happens for a reason. The key, and this is just my opinion, is that you take whatever it is you are doing and treat it as the most important thing you are doing. If it seems you are doing something, only to get to something else, then don’t do it. Go on to whatever is on your mind. So, the other day, I was suppose to be talking with a student about their actions at recess but I wasn’t “there” – so I sent the him back to the room – went and did what was really on my mind and then went and talked over things with the student. Now, this worked grand because the student had to sit, knowing I was going to talk to him. He was cooperative and we were able to get to a solution pretty quickly. But I know what you mean about missing something. Sometimes I still ask why and what about the student who committed suicide. You’re not all-knowing, all-seeing, all-fixing. Your are Brian who is doing his best. Do what you can, the best you can and then, when you go home, be there. Tomorrow needs to wait. It will get there soon enough! Hope this helps a bit!

2. Kelly,
    Thanks for the insight. It does help to hear other peoples opinions adn how they handle things. I am just going to continue to take it one day at a time and do things to the best of my ability.

Brian

3. Pingback: Snacks and Staff Meetings » Pulling teeth

4. Pingback: Mr. Sherman's Blog : Spring has Sprung!